What's behind our Name?
What's behind our Name?
In 1930 an inspired group of school board members, school administrators, and educationally minded citizens gathered to shape the foundation for a junior community college in Ironwood. With the approval and support of district citizens, the Ironwood Junior College was first formed as part of the Ironwood Public Schools in 1932. Ironwood Junior College, now GCC, was initially established in 1932 and operated as part of the Ironwood Public School System. Housed on the third floor of the L.L. Wright High School, it opened its doors that September to approximately 188 students.
In 1938, the name was changed to Gogebic Junior College in recognition of annual financial support from the Gogebic County Board of Supervisors. And then in 1953, in accordance with Michigan statute that changed all "junior" colleges in the State to "community" colleges, the name was changed to Gogebic Community College.
After several years of intensive study and review, the proposition of reorganizing to a county-operated college was placed on the May 10, 1965 ballot. As a result, the College became an independent entity, apart from the Ironwood Public School system and became "The Gogebic Community College District of Gogebic County" with an elected Board of Trustees, with the control date established being July 1, 1966.
For questions or more information, contact our office at (906) 307-1201.
History of GCCBuilding our Campus
Mt. Zion Location - The City of Ironwood donated 150 acres near Mt. Zion, and with a gift of 90 Acres and the purchase of 20 additional acres, the campus site was established in 1966.
- Offices of the President and Vice President of Business Services
- Gogebic Community College Foundation
- Alumni Services and Institutional Development
- Academic classrooms and laboratories
- Lecture Center and Academic offices
- Library/Learning Resource Center
- Human Resources
- Institutional Researcher
- Mt. Zion Operations office
- Ski Area Management Laboratory
- Day Chalet for Community Skiers
- Office of the Vice President of Student Services
- Student Services
- Samsons Canteen
- Occupational Programs
- 48-unit student housing facility in existence until 1996
- Office of the Vice President of Academic Services
- Computer Labs
- Business Department
- Conference Rooms
- Esports Arena
- Walking track, weight room and aerobics area
- Student lounge and game room
- Courtside Conference room
- 24-unit student housing facility
- Welding Lab
- Manufacturing Skills Lab
Leadership Over the Years
|1932-52||Superintendent of Ironwood City Schools, Arthur E. Erickson|
|1952-66||Superintendent of Ironwood City Schools, Reginald Ernest Dear|
|1932-48||College Dean, Reginald Ernest Dear|
|1948-52||College Dean. R.D. Chadwick|
|1952-66||College Director, Jacob Solin|
|1966-67||President, Dr. James Lehman|
|1967-76||President, Dr. James Perry|
|1976-83||President, Dr. Rawdon Ernest Dear|
|1983-86||President, Dr. Robert Bennett|
|1987||Acting President, Janet Blanchard|
|1987-94||President, Dr. James Grote|
|1994-95||Acting President Thomas Cvengros|
|1995-2005||President, Dr. Donald Foster|
|2005-2007||President, Dr. Gary S. Wheeler|
|2008-2018||President, James Lorenson|
|2018-2019||Acting Presidents, Jeanne Graham and Erik Guenard|
|2019-Present||President, Dr. George McNulty|
Staff Photos Archive