Veterans Benefits

Gold Certified Veteran Friendly School

You may be eligible to receive financial assistance from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) if you are currently serving in the military, have served in the past, or are a dependent of someone who has. Gogebic Community College (GCC) actively assists eligible students with applying their educational benefits towards a GCC degree. 

                When preparing to apply for admission make sure to complete the following:

  1. Determine which federal VA Education Benefit Program(s) you qualify for.
  2. Gather the information and paperwork needed for your benefit program.
  3. Complete the Education Benefits Application Process.
  4. Request copies of your discharge papers/separation documents (DD214).
  5. Have official copies of your military transcripts sent to Gogebic.

 In order to certify enrollment through the VA, the student must have completed the steps listed above, the admission process, registered for courses, completed the Request for Benefits Form, and submitted additional documentation dependent on the qualifying chapter (30, 31, 33, 35, 1606). All forms must be submitted to the Veteran Certifying Official, who is located in the Dean of Students Office. The additional documents that need to be submitted to the Veteran Certifying Official include: Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE), DD-214, VA Certificate of Eligibility, and should you be changing your place of training it is necessary to complete VA Form 22-1995 (Ch. 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 1606) or VA Form 22-5495 (Ch. 35 only). These forms are available at

GCC's Veteran Certifying Official does not make determinations of eligibility, nor are they able to discuss specific remuneration amounts with you. You should contact your VA representative with eligibility questions. If you're not sure who your VA representative is, you can obtain further information by calling 1 (888) GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).

In order for Gogebic Community College to evaluate and award credits for your military experience, you must request your military transcript and have it sent to the Admissions Office.

The VA highly recommends that all benefit-eligible students file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and apply for financial aid.  Refer to the Veterans Access, Choice and Accountability Act, Section 702 for tuition requirements.

The VA Certifying Official at GCC is Karen Ball, Registrar. She will be happy to help answer any questions or refer you to the appropriate agency. She can be reached by e-mail at or 906-307-1219.