Gogebic Community College

Elementary Education and Special Education

Elementary students with teacher

Elementary Education and Special Education Program Overview

  • Associate Degree
  • 2 Years
  • Main Campus - Ironwood


Elementary school teachers provide young students with the support and guidance needed to excel academically, professionally, and personally. To work in a public school, students must obtain licensure. Each state has different requirements for obtaining a teacher’s license—most require a Baccalaureate Degree in Education or Elementary Education, a teaching internship, and the passing of a state-administered exam.  

Unique Features 

  • Transferable to a college or university for a Baccalaureate Degree  


  • Students are required to work closely with the transfer coordinator and intended transfer institution to select relevant coursework.
  • Transfer institutions may require a GPA of 2.7 or higher and satisfactory scores on a basic skills test  



Courses at Gogebic

Prefix Title Credits
COL 101 College and Transfer Success 1
ENG 101 English Composition I 3
ENG 102 English Composition II 3
PSY 101 General Psychology 4
PLS 101 Intro. to American Government 3
HST 201 U.S. History to 1877 3
EDU 201 Introduction to Education (fall only) 3
Humanities Elective Humanities Elective 3-4
General Science/Lab Science General Science/Lab Science 3-4
General Science/Lab Science General Science/Lab Science 3-4
Prefix Title Credits
ENG 230 Literature for Children (spring semester, odd years only) 3
GEG 111 World Regional Geography 3
MTH 121 Principles of Elementary Math I (fall only) 4
MTH 122 Principles of Elementary Math II (spring only) 4
PSY 210 OR PSY 202 Lifespan Development (spring only) OR Child Development and Psychology 4
Transfer Electives Transfer Electives 15-20
Total Credits: 63-70

Additional Information

General/Lab Sciences: The 2 required General/Lab Science courses must come from two different disciplines with at least one including a laboratory experience. Transfer Electives: Work with the Education advisor to determine the optimal coursework needed for transferring to your selected bachelor's degree program.

Scenic Background