Emergency Medical Technician
The EMT Basic Class will begin this fall. The program has the State of Michigan approval of the initial education program sponsorship through the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services - BETP.
The EMS Basic course provides theory, practical, and clinical training for the Emergency Medical Technician-Basic. This includes but is not limited to, patient assessment and treatment as directed by a physician in an emergency situation, airway management, IV monitoring, appropriate documentation of activities, Medical/Legal/Ethical aspects, basic anatomy, basic life support, pre-hospital care of medical emergencies and trauma, extrication and more.
- Students must be up to date on immunizations and pass a criminal background check prior to entering clinical areas. Successful graduates are eligible to apply to the National Registry to take the examination for certification as an EMT Basic.
- Completion of the course does not guarantee eligibility for state examination. Past criminal conviction may interfere with eligibility. The student is responsible for assuring eligibility for testing, and should contact the Michigan Department of Consumer and Industry Services at (517) 241-3018 with questions.
- 18 years of age (or be 18 prior to licensing exam) – State Minimum Requirement
- Accuplacer placement testing at a Math 103 or higher or completion of Math 100 with a C or higher
- Accuplacer placement testing at English 101 or higher or completion of English 100 with a C or higher
Other costs: Books, finger prints, immunizations, uniform and supplies
Immunizations/Background check requirements
INSTRUCTORS: Robert Kirkley, Paramedic, Mike Kisner, Paramedic
WHERE: Gogebic Community College
E4946 Jackson Road
Ironwood, MI 49938
WHEN: Mondays and Wednesdays 6pm -10pm and one Saturday per month from 10am - 6pm
DATES: October 1 - March 9
Your application must be received and adequate enrollment must be insured in order to conduct the course. Admission is on a first-come, first-served basis. You may assume you are enrolled in the class unless you are notified to the contrary.
Payment is due no later than the first class session.
- Please note that minimum age requirements may vary amongst the regional EMS Service Providers. Students wishing to seek employment from a specific employer are encouraged to verify age requirements.