Student Rights & Responsibilities

Students have the right to know:

  1. What financial assistance is available, including information on federal, state, and institutional financial aid programs?
  2. What is the cost of attendance and what are the policies for students who withdraw?
  3. What criteria are used to select financial aid recipients and what are the deadlines for submitting applications?
  4. How is financial need determined and how are costs for tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies, personal and miscellaneous expenses, etc. considered in a budget?
  5. What resources (such as family contribution, other financial aid, assets, etc.) are considered in calculating financial need?
  6. What funds are in the student's financial aid proposal?  What portion of these funds need to be repaid and what portion is grant aid?
  7. How is academic progress determined and what happens if the student is not making progress?

Students are responsible for:

  1. Reviewing information about programs at GCC before enrolling.
  2. Completing a financial aid application accurately and on time. Intentional misreporting on the application forms for federal financial aid is a violation of law and is considered a criminal offense subject to penalties under U.S. Criminal Code. Students must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) every year.
  3. Submitting all additional documentation, verification, corrections and/or new information requested.
  4. Reading and understanding all forms they are asked to sign and keeping copies of them. Accepting responsibility for all agreements signed.
  5. Informing the loan holder of changes in their name, address, or enrollment status if the student has borrowed a FFELP or Direct loan.
  6. Performing work in a satisfactory manner during participation in the Federal College Work-Study Program.
  7. Knowing and complying with deadlines for application and renewal application.
  8. Knowing and complying with refund procedures.
  9. Attending classes.

Student Complaints

Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA)

The Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs is the agency designated to review complaints against institutions of higher education.  Complaints concerning Gogebic Community College education activities should be referred to this agency.  Students or prospective students wishing to file a complaint may visit the website at 

Students who do not reside in Michigan may contact the authority in their home state, which may be found on the website of the State Higher Education Executive Officers Association.

Ombudsman for Students

The U.S. Department of Education provides an Office of the Ombudsman to help resolve loan disputes and problems.  The following options are available for contacting the office:  call toll free at (877) 557-2575, visit the website at or write to: Office of the Ombudsman, Student Financial Assistance, U.S. Department of Education, Room 3012, ROB #3, 7th and D Streets, SW, Washington DC 20202-5144.


The Higher Learning Commission will hear complaints related to general practices affecting accreditation.  For more specific information go to the Higher Learning Commission website.


Complaints involving an active duty service member or veteran of the U.S. military may contact the DoD Post-Secondary Education Complaint System.