Financial Aid Eligibility

Student Eligibility

All students who have been accepted for admission to Gogebic Community College and who apply for financial assistance receive consideration. You must have a high school diploma, a recognized equivalent such as a General Educational Development (GED) certificate (certificates of completion do not qualify a student for financial assistance) or a homeschool education (secondary level as defined by state law) to be eligible to receive financial aid. No student is denied the opportunity for financial aid because of race, color, or creed. When determining a student's need, the financial resources of the student's immediate family are considered along with any special circumstances. (In awarding aid to eligible students, aid is not only targeted toward the neediest student but is also awarded based on the timeliness of application.) A number of scholarships are awarded based on merit considerations in addition to those based on need.

Students must meet the following eligibility requirements in order to receive funding from federal and state sources:

  • demonstrate financial need (for most programs);
  • be a U.S. citizen or an eligible noncitizen;
  • have a valid Social Security number (with the exception of students from the Republic of the Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, or the Republic of Palau);
  • be registered with Selective Service, if you're a male (you must register between the ages of 18 and 25);
  • be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a regular student in an eligible degree or certificate program (Personal Enrichment, Job Upgrade, Guest or Other are not eligible programs.);
  • enroll in courses required by the degree;
  • not have any convictions for the sale or possession of illegal drugs occurring while you were enrolled and receiving Title IV aid;
  • be enrolled at least half-time to be eligible for federal Direct Loan Program funds;
  • maintain satisfactory academic progress in college as defined by GCC;
  • sign the certification statement on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) stating that
    • you are not in default on a federal student loan or have made satisfactory arrangements to repay it;
    • you will use federal student aid only for educational purposes;
    • you do not owe money back on a federal student grant or have made satisfactory arrangements to repay it;
    • you will notify GCC if you default on a federal student loan and
    • you will not receive a Federal Pell Grant from more than one college for the same time period;
  • have not obtained loan amounts exceeding annual or aggregate loan limits made under any Title IV loan program;
  • show you're qualified to obtain a college education by
    • having a high school diploma or a recognized equivalent such as a General Educational Development (GED) certificate (Certificates of completion do not qualify a student for financial assistance.);
    • completing a high school education in a homeschool setting approved under state law (or-if state law does not require a homeschooled student to obtain a completion credential-completing a high school education in a homeschool setting that qualifies as an exemption from compulsory attendance requirements under state law);
    • having an academic transcript indicating the successful completion of a two-year program in which all credits apply towards fulfilling bachelor degree requirements;
    • providing documentation indicating you have excelled academically in high school and meet all admissions requirements as indicated in the formal, written admissions policies.  This is only if you want to earn your two-year associate degree.
  • not be enrolled simultaneously in elementary or secondary school and
  • apply for financial aid every year.


A student is not eligible for federal financial aid if their program length is less than six months.

A student's file is incomplete until they receive a financial aid proposal from the GCC Financial Aid Office. Students should never begin attending classes until they know how much they are eligible to receive in financial aid if they plan on participating in any of the financial aid programs.


Student Eligibility Requirements to Continue to Receive Financial Aid

Once you've filled out your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and received your grant, loan, or work-study funds to help you pay for college, make sure you stay eligible throughout the academic year-and in subsequent years. 

 Continue to Meet Basic Eligibility Criteria

Remember, the basic student eligibility criteria that allows you to get federal student aid continues to apply throughout the time you're receiving aid-not just when you first fill out the FAFSA and are awarded aid.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

You need to make satisfactory academic progress in order to continue receiving federal student aid. In other words, you have to earn good grades, and complete enough classes (credits, hours, etc.), to keep moving toward successfully completing your degree or certificate in a time period that's acceptable at GCC.

Each school has a satisfactory academic progress policy for financial aid purposes; to see GCC's policy, you can check our website or ask someone at the GCC Financial Aid Office. The Satisfactory Academic Policy will tell you

  • what grade-point average (or equivalent standard) you need to maintain;
  • how quickly you need to be moving toward graduation (for instance, how many credits you should have successfully completed by the end of each year);
  • how an incomplete class, withdrawal, repeated class, change of major, or transfer of credits from another school affects your satisfactory academic progress;
  • how often your school will evaluate your progress;
  • what will happen if you fail to make satisfactory academic progress when your school evaluates you;
  • whether you are allowed to appeal your school's decision that you haven't made satisfactory academic progress (reasons for appeal usually include the death of a member of your family, your illness or injury, or other special circumstances); and
  • how you can regain eligibility for federal student aid.

Fill Out the FAFSA® Each Year

When you fill out the FAFSA, you are applying for aid for a specific year. In order to receive aid the next year, you'll need to submit that next year's FAFSA. Luckily, the FAFSA website makes it easy for you by allowing you to submit a Renewal FAFSA that remembers certain information you reported the year before and places it in your new FAFSA.