Gogebic Community College is committed to ensuring equal access and reasonable accommodations to students with documented disabilities. Students with disabilities are considered for admission to Gogebic Community College on the same basis as all other applicants. Once admitted, students may request support services in accordance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. Documents providing evidence of disability must be presented to the Office of Disability Services (T105E) and a confidential file established before academic accommodations may be approved and implemented. It is the student’s responsibility to initiate contact with the Office of Disability Services to request reasonable accommodations. Services will be issued upon request, if eligibility is determined.
Students who request accommodations for upcoming semesters must provide ample time for the Office of Disability Services to arrange accurate and timely services. It is suggested that students meet with the Director at least two weeks prior to the beginning of each semester. Late requests may not be honored in a timely fashion.
Students who request services must:
- Complete the Office of Disability Services Application.
- Provide the Office of Disability Services with appropriate documentation of the disability.
- Be willing to pursue diagnostic testing if not already processed, so staff can determine the eligibility for services, and allow documentation of the disability to be reviewed and maintained in a file while attending Gogebic Community College.
- Schedule an appointment with the Office of Disability Services to review accommodation policies and procedures and to develop an accommodation plan based on documented needs.
- Notify the Office of Disability Services if accommodations are insufficient, or if changes occur related to the nature of the disability, which may affect the accommodation plan. Students who request accommodations are responsible for following through with requested services (i.e. students who request note taking services must pick up their notes regularly during the course of the semester and notify the Office of Disability Services if notes or other services are not sufficient).
- Renew the accommodation plan each semester.
The Office of Disability Services at Gogebic Community College considers the following Documentation Requirements/Standards when reviewing a student’s documentation of a disability in the course of determining reasonable and appropriate accommodations for the student. Gogebic Community College’s requirements are adapted from recommendations from the Association for Higher Education and Disability (AHEAD) – specifically AHEAD’s document: Seven essential elements of quality disability documentation. Gogebic Community College does not provide assessment and/or diagnostic testing for disabilities, or provide funding for the student to receive testing.
Section 504 and ADA define a disability as “a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities.” Reasonable accommodations are determined on the current impact of the disability on academic performance. The diagnostic evaluation should be age-appropriate, relevant to postsecondary education, and show the student’s current functional limitations within the academic setting. If documentation does not address the individual’s current functional limitations, the student may be asked to provide additional documentation. Certain disabilities which are readily observable may require less extensive documentation, while less obvious conditions may require extensive documentation to help determine appropriate and reasonable accommodations. In most cases, documentation need only be provided once. Some medical and mental health-related conditions, however, may require status updates due to their changing nature.
Please contact the GCC Disability Services Office with any questions: (906) 307-1237.