Administrative Assistant to the President
Gogebic Community College seeks candidates for a full-time Administrative Assistant to the President at our Ironwood, Michigan campus. We seek a candidate with excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills. It is important that there is recognition, acceptance, and adherence to the community college mission and philosophy from our candidate. This individual reports directly to the President of the College; provides responsible, independent and complex administrative support; performs office functions requiring a significant degree of decision-making, confidentiality, and independence of action within established college policies and procedures and interacts with tact and diplomacy with members of the Board of Trustees, members of the Foundation Board, college staff, community and students.
- Prepares correspondence as requested by the President.
- Develops presentations including PowerPoint presentations as requested by the President.
- Serves as recording secretary to the Board of Trustees. Assembles Board agenda information packets and coordinates delivery. Takes minutes at all Board meetings. Maintains official minutes and Board packets on file in accordance with legal statute.
- Attends and coordinates regular and special Board of Trustees meetings.
- Serves as custodian of the Board Policy Manual, updating as revised by Board action.
- Coordinates bi-annual Board of Trustees elections.
- Provides administrative support to committees as assigned by the President.
- Provides support for expense reporting, expense reconciliation and other matters as related to budgetary items for the President, Office of the President and the Board of Trustees.
- Arranges travel for the President and the Board of Trustees.
- Schedules monthly staff meetings. Types and distributes agendas and related information.
- Arrange facilities and schedules meetings for the President, Cabinet and staff.
- Manages complex appointment schedules/calendars for the President.
- Serves on the social committee.
- Keeps a weekly/monthly calendar of meetings and special events.
- Schedules special room use requests.
- Coordinates and conducts mass mailings.
- Coordinates and facilitates public relations efforts of the Office of the President.
- Maintains and disburses petty cash.
- Serves as clerical support for GCC Foundation/Advancement Office as needed. Prepares Board of Directors meeting agenda packets for mailing and takes minutes at meetings. Assists with preparations for Foundation special events, i.e. annual Celebration of Achievements Banquet and annual Taste of the Gogebic Range event. Assists with scholarship management.
- Publishes a monthly newsletter, GCConnections.
- Assists with mailroom and switchboard duties.
- Performs other duties as may be assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- High level of interpersonal skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations.
- Possesses the ability to utilize effective time management skills and work effectively in a team environment or independently as needed.
- Analytical ability in order to gather and summarize data for reports, find solutions to various administrative problems and prioritize work.
- Make recommendations on proper resolution for various challenges.
- Excellent organizational, telephone, and customer service skills.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Five years of office experience.
- College experience preferred.
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in indoor conditions and regularly works near video display. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Applications will be accepted until May 9, 2018.
Interested individuals should submit a portfolio containing:
a letter of interest
a detailed resume
three references with current contact information
GCC Application for Employment
unofficial transcripts (official transcripts are required before employment)
other relevant material to:
Human Resources Attn: Ashley Paquette
Gogebic Community College
E4946 Jackson Road
Ironwood, MI 49938
(906) 932-4231 ext. 324
Gogebic Community College is an equal opportunity educator and employer.