Gogebic Community College seeks candidates for a full-time Career Counselor. This position reports to the VP of Student Services and the Director of TRiO Program and Disability Services. This position is a member of the Faculty group. The Career Counselor is responsible for the ongoing development and implementation of counseling services provided to the general student population as well as TRiO Program (Student Support Services) participants and Perkins grant students. Customer focus, college service, and a willingness to assist as needed are expectations for all employees. It is important that there is recognition, acceptance, and adherence to the community college mission and philosophy from our candidate.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as an academic advisor, and meet with students to keep current on academic needs and progress.
- Develop Individual Academic Plans for Perkins students and SSS program participants, and assist in identifying goals and implementing strategies to accomplish goals.
- Assist with placement into appropriate levels of college coursework based upon comprehensive evaluation of individual needs.
- Facilitate trust and discussion about topics related to academic success.
- Administer and interpret interest, skills, and develop personality inventories for purposes of career exploration.
- Assist students with a variety of situational concerns including: relationship problems, lack of self-esteem, assertiveness training, stress management, eating disorders, sexual concerns, and issues around the transition to college, response to suicide, deal, or loss.
- Facilitate referral to external agencies to address personal counseling needs.
- Act as the college spokesperson for career exploration activities.
- Organize and facilitate various workshops and program activities.
- Provide group and individual services related to career and personal development.
- Perform presentations at Orientation, the COL courses, and other activities on campus, the Copper Country Center, at regional high schools, and for the general public.
- Use cutting edge technologies to facilitate career development services appropriate to emerging job placement markets.
- Instruct and monitor effectiveness of the TRiO course.
- Record student information/contact in the TRiO database program.
- Keep accurate files for all students and contacts for Perkins.
- Maintain accurate time and effort reports.
- Interface with college faculty and staff to promote awareness and integration of TRiO programming into the campus culture and assist TRiO students with achievement of academic and personal goals.
- Principles, practices, rules, and regulations governing TRiO programs.
- Student assessment tools.
- Career assessment and interest inventories.
- Relevant career exploration knowledge and tools.
- GCC graduation and transfer requirements.
- Advising fundamentals.
- Community college philosophy.
- Student development theory.
- Provide information and services to students individually and in groups.
- Work with diverse populations.
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Work effectively with Microsoft Office Suite
- Maintain effective working relationships with other people.
Perform other duties as assigned.
Master’s Degree in School Counseling or related field required. Must be eligible for and obtain professional licensure in the State of Michigan.
Three years of experience in similar setting preferred, in particular working with TRiO programs. Experience with interest inventories and career exploration tools preferred.
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to use a computer, reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in indoor conditions and regularly works near video display. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
This position involves occasional day or overnight travel with and without students.
Applications will be accepted until October 9, 2019.
Interested individuals should submit a portfolio containing all of the following in one email or mailed envelope:
- A letter of interest
- A detailed resume
- Three references with current contact information
- GCC Application for Employment
- Unofficial transcripts (official transcripts are required before employment)
Other relevant material to:
Director of Human Resources, Ashley Paquette
Gogebic Community College
E4946 Jackson Road
Ironwood, MI 49938
(906) 932-4231 ext. 324
Gogebic Community College is an equal opportunity educator and employer.