Director of Financial Aid
Gogebic Community College seeks candidates for a full-time Director of Financial Aid. This position administers all federal, state, institutional and private financial aid programs (grants, scholarships, loans and work-study). This position reports to the Dean of Students. The incumbent in this job is expected to assist the College in achieving its vision and mission. Customer focus, college service, and a willingness to assist as needed are expectations for all employees.
- Administers and monitors federal, state, private and community financial aid programs, ensuring compliance with all program regulations; monitors changes in state and federal requirements and implements the required revisions.
- Processes verification documents for all students to ensure the accuracy and completion of the financial aid process; performs need analysis; packages and awards aid to all qualified applicants, processes FAFSA corrections. Systems used in the processing of financial aid include PowerFAIDS, Jenzabar, NSLDS, FAA Access, COD, Great Lakes and SAIG.
- Acts as a liaison with external agencies as it relates to individual student financial needs and broad policy issues.
- Counsels students and families on financial planning, budgeting, debt management and the financial aid process as well as assists students with the completion of financial aid, loan, grant, scholarship and work-study applications.
- Calculates and certifies all federal direct and alternative loans. Conducts exit and entrance interviews for the loan programs.
- Reviews work-study applications for placement of students in employment positions; assists in monitoring the number of hours a student has worked to determine continued eligibility; provides training to students and supervisors regarding their role in the program; notifies work-study students and supervisors of job placements.
- Determines ineligible courses by consulting with the Assistant Registrar; reconciles student enrollment status with amount of financial aid awarded and corrects any discrepancies; transfers financial aid to student accounts.
- Calculates and processes the Return of Title IV funds; monitors all complete withdrawals as well as failing grades at the end of each semester; notifies all lenders and regulatory agencies of repayment obligations.
- Processes professional judgment decisions to determine special conditions and/or individual award adjustments including gathering of full documentation, analysis and detailed recording of rational.
- Reviews academic progress of all enrolled students to determine on-going financial aid eligibility; notifies students of financial aid cancellation and probation status and appeal rights; monitors class attendance of high-risk students.
- Administers GCC's scholarship program using Academic Works software; packages all scholarships in student awards; collaborates with the Foundation Director to oversee all institutional scholarships.
- Develops written policies, operational procedures and annual operating budgets for the Financial Aid Department within the guidelines established by all governing entities.
- Maintains a vital working relationship within the Student Services Office, Business Office, and Computer Center as well as promoting interrelationships with faculty and all office staff servicing students.
- Conducts financial aid workshops for students and parents; participates in high school financial aid nights, college fairs, high school counselor days, home shows, open houses, freshmen experience workshops and student orientation activities; prepares, plans and delivers financial aid presentations; attends high school honor banquets for scholarship presentations.
- Serves as a federal presenter for high school guidance counselors, conducts training for financial aid professionals and assist in the training of personnel upon request.
- Reconciles all financial aid records with the Business Office expenditures and participates in the annual internal audit as well as state and federal audits.
- Manages the online data entry system for accuracy and consistency; assists in the use and implementation of electronic processes and technological enhancements; implements, coordinates and revises the computer operations within the Financial Aid Office in cooperation with the Computer Center.
- Completes and submits the PPA, IPED, FISAP, State of Michigan and other required reports/applications in a timely and accurate manner. Assists in the completion of all gainful employment requirements.
- Manages and maintains a student record filing system.
- Assists in the college marketing effort by coordinating all literature and publications related to financial aid with other student-oriented materials. Updates all financial aid information on the GCC website as well as the GCC catalogue.
- Develops appropriate publication and literature material used in the processing of student financial aid as well as revises all forms for upcoming academic years.
- Attends financial aid training and workshops to keep current on all federal and state regulations, policies and procedures; reviews legislative changes and advises office staff of potential impact.
- Serves as a member of various campus committees including serving as chairperson of the Financial Aid Appeals Committee and Compliance Committee.
- Supervises and selects department staff.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge of/Ability to:
- Apply knowledge, interpret and make decisions regarding the federal and state financial aid regulations.
- Work in an environment where multi-tasking is a must with a high degree of accuracy, courtesy, timeliness and structure.
- Work with and respect diverse populations.
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing and possess patience and a commitment to customer service.
- Make independent decisions and sound judgments as well as possess strong analytical and computational skills.
- Work a flexible schedule and present in front of large groups.
- Problem solve in an efficient and accurate manner.
- Work harmoniously as a team with other administrators, faculty, staff, students and members of the community while possessing a high level of interpersonal skills.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred. Three to five years of experience required in Higher Education Financial Aid.
- Independent problem solving, self-direction, and well established time management skills.
- Experience providing customer service directly to end-users both physically present and remotely.
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in indoor conditions and regularly works near video display. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Applications submitted by February 14, 2019, will be given priority consideration. The search will remain open until the position is filled.
Interested individuals should submit a portfolio containing:
- a letter of interest
- a detailed resume
- three references that include current contact information
- GCC Application for Employment
- unofficial transcripts (official transcripts are required before employment)
- other relevant material to:
Human Resources Attn: Ashley Paquette
Gogebic Community College
E4946 Jackson Road
Ironwood, MI 49938
(906) 932-4231 ext. 324
Gogebic Community College is an equal opportunity educator and employer.