Gogebic Community College

Press Release - September 6, 2011

Reverse Transfer Associate Degree Option Offered in U.P.

Six of the Upper Peninsulaís higher education institutions have entered into an agreement that will help students complete a reverse transfer associate degree while working on a bachelorís degree.

The reverse credit transfer process means a student who did not fulfill all of the course requirements of an associate degree before beginning work on a bachelorís degree can use the credits gained at the baccalaureate level to complete the associate degree. This often allows the student to enter the workforce while completing his or her bachelorís degree program.

According to Gogebic Community College President James Lorenson, ďStudents and their families are more aware of the process for transferring credits from an associate degree program into a bachelorís degree, but are not always familiar with the concept of reverse transfer, which allows bachelorís degree credits to be applied toward completion of an associate degree. This agreement formalizes that process between our colleges and universities. It provides students, mostly U.P. students, an option that gives them a degree they can use to enter the workforce while they continue on to a bachelorís degree, and being able to work is critical to some students being able to complete a bachelorís degree program.Ē

The schools who are participating in the consortial agreement are Gogebic, NMU, Bay College, Finlandia University, Lake Superior State University and Michigan Technological University.

These Upper Peninsula colleges and universities have a long-standing tradition of working together to provide opportunities and advantages to students of the region.

The institutionsí presidents hope the agreement will address three issues in particular: undocumented learning, increasing and promoting associate degree completion for transfer students, and encouraging students to continue on to a bachelorís degree.

Students interested in taking advantage of the reverse transfer program should visit the registrar's office of their college or university for more information.