Room Furnishings & Decorating
- How can I decorate my suite?
- What furniture is typically found in a suite?
- How much should I bring with me when I move in?
- What should I bring with me when I move in?
- What should I leave at home when I move in?
- Can furniture be removed from the suite and replaced with my own?
- What appliances may I bring?
How can I decorate my suite?
We do not allow residents to paint their walls, ceilings, floor, or building-provided furnishings. You may personalize your room in the following ways:
- Favorite Photos
What furniture is typically found in a suite?
The following is provided for your use:
- Extra long twin bed (please purchase extra long bedding)
- Desk and chair
- Clothes bureau
- Telephone jack (telephone not provided)
- Cable jack
- Ethernet connection
- Window coverings
- Smoke detector
How much should I bring with me when I move in?
Use your best judgment. We suggest you bring only one carload. We encourage you to contact your future suitemates prior to moving in to discuss the idea of sharing things to avoid duplicating non-personal items. Remember that space is limited!
What should I bring with me when I move in?
Some of your essentials will be:
- Touch-tone phone
- Answering machine
- Non-halogen desk, floor, or bedside lamp for reading and studying
- Extra long twin sheet set
- Comforter/bedspread and blanket
- Towels and washcloths
- Alarm clock
- Personal toiletries (shampoo, soap, lotion, etc)
- Extension cord(s)
- Laundry basket/bag (and detergent)
- Pots/pans/dishes/kitchen utensils (check with suitemates to determine who brings each item)
- Warm coat and boots
- Stereo, walkman
- Video games
What should I leave home when I move in?
Firearms and other weapons and explosives of any kind are forbidden. Leave all fire hazard or flammable items such as candles, incense, firecrackers, kerosene or oil lamps at home. Also leave all hazardous electrical appliances at home, such as
- Appliances with open heating elements (oil popcorn maker, toaster, toaster oven, hot plate-burner type, counter-top grill, pizza baker/carousel, quesadilla maker, countertop sandwich maker, space heater)
- Halogen lamps (they can cause fires)
- Decorative lights
- Multiple outlet (octopus) adapters
- Concealed extension cords.
Can furniture be removed from the suite and replaced with my own?
All furniture must remain in the suite.
What appliances may I bring?
You may bring a microwave (no more than 700 watts), radio, stereo, computer, hair dryer, electric razor, phone, TV, VCR, DVD, iron, alarm clock, drip coffee maker, espresso maker, cup warmer, air popcorn maker, blender, smoothie maker, hot pot.