The G.C.C. Career Center provides students and alumni with a number of services to aid them in their search for college majors and careers.
Individual Career Counseling
Students or community members can make an appointment to see the career and placement counselor. Topics for discussion might include career planning, program selection, resume writing, job search strategies, and/or interviewing techniques.
Students who wish to take part in a mock interview situation may sign-up in the Career Center. Mock interviews are designed to improve interviewing skills. All interviews are taped and reviewed with the interviewee and the counselor. Individuals may interview for any occupation they wish. In most cases a panel of interviewers will conduct the interviews.
Group Career Counseling
GCC offers a job hunters support group. Job hunting techniques, networking, and resumes are all topics of discussion.
The GCC Career Center offers a variety of inventories that can be used to identify, clarify, and compare important aspects of career planning.
Interests: Strong Interest Inventory, Discover--Unitact Inventory, Campbell Interests and Skills Inventory
Values: Career Decision Making System Learning Style: Myers-Briggs Type Indicator
Career Information Resources
- Internet access
- Dictionary of Occupational Titles--Short job descriptions
- Occupational Outlook Handbook--job trends,salaries, training
- Peterson Guides and College Handbook--Information about colleges
- Careers in the Outdoors--Job descriptions of outdoor occupations
- The Adams Cover Letter Almanac--600 examples of cover letters
- Finding a Job After Fifty--Setting career goals and resume writing
- The Resume Solutions--How to write resumes
- The Wisconsin Job Bank--2,500 employer profiles
- Find a Federal Job Fast--Federal Job Search Strategies
- Dictionary of Holland Occupational Codes--Career exploration
- Mental Health and Social Work Career Directory--Mental health job exploration
- The College Survival Handbook--Ways to get the most out of college
- The Smart Women's Guide to Networking--Job searching for women
- Finding Your Perfect Work--Making a living doing what you love
- Conquer Interview Objections--Getting through tough interview situations
- Career Selector 2001--job trends, salaries, job descriptions
- The Career Discovery Project--Work style and career selection
- The Complete Job-Finding Guide--For secretaries and administrative support staff
- Resumes For Re-Entry--Producing an effective resume
- Civil Service Handbook--Sample tests job descriptions
- Jobs '96--First-time Job Hunters Guide
- Back In School--Juggling family, work and school
- 110 Mistakes Working Women Make and How To Avoid Them
- The Career Connection--A guide to college majors and their careers
- Getting the Job You Really Want--Job Search Methods
- Top Medical, Education, & Human Service Jobs
- Top Office, Management, Sales, & Professional Jobs
- Top Jobs For People Without College Degrees
- The Resume Solution
The Instant Resume program is available for students to use in the Career Center.
Profiles of local and area companies are on-file in the Career Center. In some cases, business cards and applications are available.