International Student Information
Thank you for your interest in Gogebic Community College! The admissions requirements for international students are:
- Apply for Admission - apply online at gogebic.edu, or contact the GCC Admissions Office for a paper application.
- Submit $100 Application Fee - this non-refundable application fee is required of all international applicants.
- Official Transcripts - official transcripts in English for all college and high school work are required.
- English Competency - if English is not your native language, a minimum score of 78 on the Internet Based Test (IBT) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
- Guarantee of Finances - Applicants must show documented evidence that they have adequate financial reserves to cover the expenses of attending Gogebic for one academic year. This documentation could be a notarized bank statement, notarized declaration to provide financial assistance from a sponsor or relative, etc.
- Proof of current Health Insurance
Upon acceptance for admission, the student will be issued a Form 1-20 to use in securing a student Visa. Please submit all documentation a minimum of 60 days prior to the start of the semester for which you will begin your studies to ensure adequate process time.
Documentation provided to Gogebic Community College cannot be returned to you or forwarded to another institution.
International students must enroll as full-time students at Gogebic Community College, carrying a minimum of 12 credits during the fall and spring semesters.
Financial Assistance and Work Opportunities
- The college can admit only those international students who have established their ability to defray all of their expenses for the entire course of study.
- U.S. law generally prevents employment of international students during their first year of study. At Gogebic Community College, students from other countries must not plan or hope to obtain any part of their necessary expenses from part-time employment. Ironwood is not an industrial town; it is located a considerable distance from metropolitan areas, and there are very few opportunities for part-time work either on campus or in the community.
- No financial assistance or scholarships are available to international students.
Location and Climate
Ironwood is located about 500 miles northwest of Detroit and about 400 miles north of Chicago. It is located in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Students from tropical and subtropical regions coming to Gogebic Community College should be prepared to make a major adjustment to the climate, especially to the long winters with heavy snowfall.
Gogebic Community College does have housing on campus. The Campus Suites is the on-campus student housing option for students attending GCC. It's an affordable and convenient choice for our students coming to Ironwood, MI from distances near and far located just steps away from classes.
Applications will be processed upon receipt of all of the above.
For more information, please call (906) 932-4231 ext. 347 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Documents and/or any correspondence can be mailed to the address below.
Gogebic Community College
E4946 Jackson Road
Ironwood, MI 49938