Class descriptions are written as a representative list of the ADA essential duties performed by the entire classification. They cannot include, and are not intended to include, every possible activity and task performed by every specific employee.
Job Title: Assistant TRIO
Reports to: Director of TRIO Program and Disability Services
Part-time position: 800 hours during the academic year
SUMMARY Under supervision of the Director, provides administrative support services to program staff to assist in meeting the goals and objectives of the TRIO Student Support Services guidelines.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. This list is meant to be representative, not exhaustive. Some incumbents may not perform all the duties listed while in other cases related duties may also be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Provides general application information to incoming students and distributes program literature to students inquiring about the nature of the program.
- Mails out student acceptance letters and other correspondence upon the Director's approval.
- Maintains student files to ensure that necessary forms have been returned signifying file completion.
- Obtains documentation of financial aid eligibility and low-income criteria from the Financial Aid Office upon students' authorization for the release of information for program eligibility.
- Demonstrates word processing and spreadsheet/database proficiency; shows ability to create documents, merge data, and generate data reports.
- Updates Student ACCESS, the program's tracking system, with students' permanent contact information.
- Keeps the current student list updated.
- Assists professional staff with preparation and distribution of general correspondence, forms, and public information materials. Maintains program documents through computer and hard copy records.
- Assists with the organization of student activities, workshops, and events through the development of student sign-up sheets, distribution of announcements, and documentation of attendance.
- Distributes monthly program newsletters and maintains current address lists of program participants.
- Certifies that all staff time and effort forms are completed each month and signed by their respective supervisor.
- Ensures that all software and equipment purchased for SSS participants is operational and readily available to SSS participants.
- Participates in monthly SSS staff meetings and organizes agenda items and meeting minutes.
- Performs other duties as assigned by SSS Director.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities required
to satisfactorily perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
Principles and practices of SSS programs.
Study equipment including PCs, printers, etc.
Community college philosophy
Provide information and service in SSS program.
Work with diverse populations
Respect student confidentiality
Communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
Operate a PC and related software.
Maintain effective working relationships with other people.
Associates degree required.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in indoor conditions and regularly works near video display. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Interested individuals should submit a portfolio containing:
- a letter of interest
- a detailed resume
- three references that include current contact information
- GCC Application for Employment
- unofficial transcripts (official transcripts are required before employment)
- other relevant material to:
Human Resources Attn: Ashley Paquette
Gogebic Community College
E4946 Jackson Road
Ironwood, MI 49938
(906) 932-4231 ext. 324
GCC Application for Employment.