Mission, Philosophy, Institutional Purposes Statement
We are a bold community of learners dedicated to building a better future in every endeavor, in every environment, in every way.
Gogebic Community College believes all individuals should have opportunities to prepare for active participation in the economic, domestic, political, aesthetic, and cultural affairs of the communities in which they live. This preparation includes:
- The development of an increased ability to deal intelligently with the responsibilities of living in a rapidly changing global society;
- The development of techniques for self-criticism, initiative, and intellectual curiosity leading to a poised, well-rounded and mentally, physically, and socially adjusted individual;
- The understanding that education is a life-long process and that the techniques and skills they acquire in learning how to learn will be of life-long benefit.
Consistent with the belief that the community college is the most readily available, and often the only avenue to higher education, Gogebic Community College sets forth the following institutional purposes:
- To assure the maintenance of appropriate post-secondary educational programs that meet the changing educational needs of students, community and society;
- To assure a Baccalaureate-oriented curricula suitable for transfer to a four-year college or university;
- To assure occupational/career training for those students who wish to prepare for immediate employment upon completion of their program of study and for students who wish to upgrade their skills or be retrained in new areas;
- To assure continuing education/community service opportunities by utilizing college resources through a cooperative effort with individual, civic groups, educational institu- tions and other public or private organizations for specific benefit of the citizens of the college district;
- To assure students the opportunity to participate in a curriculum or in a sequence of developmental or advanced courses consistent with his/her individual needs and abilities;
- To assure a General Education component with a variety of learning experiences within an academic framework;
- To assure guidance, counseling, advisement and placement services to meet the personal, academic, social and career needs of students;
- To assure student educational achievement and growth through appropriate, systematic and periodic assessment.
- To assure institutional leadership in the promotion and support for economic development in the western region of the Upper Peninsula;