Medical Coding and Billing Specialist – Online Certificate Program
The online Medical Coding and Billing Specialist program prepares students for entry-level positions in the healthcare industry performing medical coding and processing health care insurance claims. Medical coders and billing specialists play a vital role in the financial viability of any healthcare organization. Job openings are available in hospitals, clinics, long-term care facilities, and health insurance companies, just to name a few. Upon completion of the program, students will be eligible to write for a national examination.
Requirements Prior to Entering the Program:
- The student must be at the reading comprehension level of ENG 101. The GCC skills assessment determines reading comprehension level.
- The student must have a computer system, Internet access, and email accessibility as these are the tools necessary to be successful in an online course. (Inaccessibility or computer system failures will not be an acceptable excuse for incomplete or late work).
- It is highly recommended that students assess themselves regarding preparation for taking a course online. Many students do not fully understand the challenges that they face with an online course. Students must assess where challenges might lie and make a knowledgeable decision as to whether they should enter an online program as everyone is not fit or equipped to handle an online educational experience.
- Medical Coding and Billing students are required to achieve a grade of “75% (C)” or higher in medical coding and billing course work to remain in the program.
- Some courses within the program require a proctor (a person appointed to keep watch over students during examinations) for testing. The student will be responsible for securing a proctor when needed, incurring any costs associated.
- Students have the opportunity to test out of courses where they feel they have sufficient knowledge. Gogebic Community College establishes testing guidelines and fees.
- Students have the ability to transfer courses into the program consistent with the guidelines established by Gogebic Community College.
- Prior to HIT 103 Internship, the student is to successfully complete all requirements of the clinical site for student internship. This may include: Physical examination, rubella titer, rubeola titer, varicella titer, drug screening, etc. Students will be responsible for the cost associated with any of these clinical site requirements. Internship sites may require criminal background checks. Applicants need to be aware that any history of misdemeanor and/or felony conviction or past abuse may make them ineligible to meet internship requirements and therefore not be able to complete the certificate program.
- The instructor will work with the clinical sites to secure internship placement at an inpatient hospital setting for each student. While every effort will be made to find a clinical site in the students’ geographic area, this may not be feasible due to facility availability and the amount of students needing placement. If a student is unable to complete their internship either based on availability, traveling distance, etc., this may inhibit the completion of the certificate program. Students will be responsible for travel, housing, medical care and any other internship-related costs.
GCC reserves the right to revise these requirements as needed. Please consult the program director at extension 245 or firstname.lastname@example.org for updated materials on program requirements.
Gogebic Community College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, www.ncacihe.org. (312) 263-0456, 30 North LaSalle Street, Suite 2400, Chicago, Illinois 60602-2504.
Program Outline for Completion in Two Years
Courses required for Medical Coding and Billing Certificate
(program may be taken over a longer time span if desired)
For more information on the Online Medical Coding and Billing Specialist Program contact, Angela MacLeod or call (906) 932-4231 ext. 245 or toll free (800) 682-5910 ext. 245