Job Title: Bookstore Manager
Reports to: Dean of Business Services
Group: MESPA Union
The Bookstore Manager is responsible for the planning and managing of day-to-day operations of the main campus bookstore. This position will supervise work-study and temporary personnel, coordinate and execute all purchasing, stocking, and sales of merchandise and textbooks through online store and on-ground physical location.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. This list is meant to be representative, not exhaustive. Some incumbents may not perform all the duties listed while in other cases related duties may also be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Administration and control of the site textbook operation including purchasing, record keeping, and data analysis using all aspects of the bookstore's Point of Sale (POS) software.
- Administers book buy back, central supply for the college, and all faculty book adoptions.
- Supervises work-study and temporary personnel in the day-to-day operations providing instruction in a clear and concise manner.
- Works within the control of the bookstore budget.
- Works with faculty and vendors to acquire and provide availability of new/used textbooks, rentals, OER, e-books, class supplies for students, and apparel and merchandise.
- Ensures that all college and bookstore policies are consistently applied.
- Executes all store opening and closing procedures on a daily basis; effect the daily closeout process of cash registers and prepare bank deposits. Ensures that all fiduciary safeguards are enforced.
- Ensures that all financial accounting paperwork such as invoices, purchase orders, and alike are communicated to the Business Office in a timely manner.
- Performs physical inventories and updates POS system to validate inventories.
- Works with all faculty, staff, and students in a professional manner practicing exceptional customer service at every level.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- MBS textbook system preferred.
- Ability to develop and maintain record keeping systems and procedures.
- PC and Windows-based operating environments.
- Purchase orders and related accounts payable documentation.
- Higher Education and Opportunities Act of 2008 and information disclosure for students.
The ideal candidate will be able to complete the following:
- Operate a textbook sales system effectively.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Receive, stock, and/or deliver goods.
- Use personal computers and related software applications.
- Communicate effectively with vendors necessary to perform all functions of bookstore.
- Experience in college bookstore operations preferred.
- Knowledge of retail accounting, purchasing, and inventory management.
- Experience using a point of sale system such as MBS or other systems.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Independent problem solving, self-direction, and well established time management skills.
- Associate's Degree required, Bachelor's degree preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 60 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in indoor conditions and regularly works near video display. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Interested individuals should submit a portfolio containing:
- Letter of interest
- Detailed resume
- Three references that include current contact information
- GCC Application for Employment (click here)
- Unofficial transcripts (official transcripts are required before employment)
- Driver's license
- Other relevant material.
Please submit the required materials to the following:
Director of Human Resources
Gogebic Community College
E4946 Jackson Road
Ironwood, MI 49938
(906) 932-4231 ext. 324
Gogebic Community College is an equal opportunity educator and employer.