Job Title: Director of the Lindquist Student Conference Center and Athletics
Reports to: Dean of Business Services and Dean of Student Services
The incumbent in this job is expected to assist the College in achieving its vision and mission. Customer focus, college service, and a willingness to assist as needed are expectations for all employees.
Gogebic Community College is a fully accredited, full-service community college with a head count of about 1,100 students. The Ironwood area offers a high quality of life in a rural setting. Located two hours from Duluth (MN), four hours from Minneapolis/St. Paul, and four hours from Green Bay (WI), the college is in close proximity to Lake Superior, the Ottawa National Forest, and numerous other state parks and recreational areas.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: A successful candidate will possess management, vision, entrepreneurship, mediation, organizational skills, and experience with collegiate or high school athletics. The goal at Gogebic Community College is to support the development of students' whole selves and challenge them to assume both personal and social responsibility as well as integrate community awareness, involvement, and activities. Gogebic Community College strives to create an environment wherein students possess the skills to make ethical decisions, appreciate difference, and live creative, rewarding, and purposeful lives, while balancing the needs of the community and a growing college atmosphere. The Director serves as a resource for student life outside of the classroom, promoting and encouraging a healthy balance between curricular, co-curricular athletic experiences, and serves as a community liaison.
- Responsible for the total operation of the Lindquist Student and Conference Center, including the overall facilities management, college event coordination, athletic events, student life activities and programs, and community event coordination.
- Promoting and marketing the Lindquist Student and Conference Center to the local community, state, and region with room for growth.
- Develops, monitors, and oversees the Lindquist Student and Conference Center budget and the Athletic Department budget.
- Trains and supervises all Lindquist Student and Conference Center staff and new athletic program employees including student work-study positions.
- Develops policies and procedures related to the operations of the Lindquist Student and Conference Center.
- Recommends and implements programs, building modifications, and activities designed to make the Lindquist Student and Conference Center a center of social & recreational opportunities and activities.
- Oversees two NJCAA varsity sports consisting of three separate teams and will be responsible for the implementation of two new sports in the 2017-2018 academic year and any other new sports.
- Is responsible for athletic compliance and serves as the liaison to the NJCAA.
- Responsible for coordination of all formal athletic activities on campus.
- Organizes and coordinates the varsity intramural sports program.
Gogebic Community College is especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute through their work/life experiences to the diversity of our academic community, our engagement with the student body, and the community at large. Fluency in working with students, faculty, and staff with diverse backgrounds, cultures and ambitions will be an essential asset. Ambitious and energetic candidates who are interested and amicable to growing and evolving this position are highly encouraged to apply.
The Director reports directly to the Dean of Business for LSCC activities and the Dean of Student Services for all athletic activities. The position requires a willingness to work a variable schedule as potential assignments may include daytime, evenings, and limited weekends along with other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in business, marketing, management, sports management, student development, student affairs, higher education administration, or other related field.
- Experience in post-secondary or high school athletics.
- Supervisory experience, including hiring and training practices, and employee evaluation.
- Master’s degree in business, marketing, management, sports management, student development, student affairs, higher education administration, or other related field.
- Experience in the role as an athletic director.
- Demonstrated experience in event planning and implementation.
- Demonstrated excellence in written and oral communication skills, documentation, record keeping, and reporting.
- Program assessment and evaluation.
- Maintain a congenial, supportive and accepting approach when working with students, faculty, and staff.
- Manage a rigorous administrative workload; strong project management skills.
- Use a computer, including experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, Power Point, Windows, and Outlook.
- Exercise initiative, good judgment, and independent decision making.
- Be flexible with hours, as some weekend and evening hours are required.
- Demonstrate experience working with students.
- Write athletic manuals and work with collegiate or high school governing athletic organizations.
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is often required to stand and walk. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in indoor conditions and regularly works near video display. The noise level in the work environment varies from quiet to sporting events.
Application Process Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Interested individuals should submit a portfolio containing the following documents:
- a letter of interest;
- a detailed resume;
- three references with current contact information;
- GCC Application for Employment (click here)
- unofficial transcripts (official transcripts are required before employment);
- other relevant material.
Please submit the required materials to the following:
Director of Human Resources
Gogebic Community College
E4946 Jackson Road
Ironwood, MI 49938
(906) 932-4231 ext. 324
Gogebic Community College is an equal opportunity educator and employer.